As public concern for animal welfare continues to grow, this book offers a timely overview of the way animals are treated in Australia. Covering the welfare of animals used in farming, scientific research and entertainment, as well as domestic pets, introduced species and wild animals, discover:
- How the treatment of animals in the Western World has evolved over the centuries
- How much influence animal use groups, especially the farming lobby, wield over animal welfare, law and science
- What is revealed by a critical analysis of our use of animals as a primary food source
- What our basic food needs really are
- The positive and negative effects of consuming animal versus plant food products
- How legal remedies can help advocates to protect animals from cruelty, neglect and exploitation.